Thursday, October 19, 2006

Artivist Film Festival & Awards

I have said in the past that I believe art does not exist only to entertain but also to challenge one to think, to provoke, even to disturb, to engage in a constant search for the truth.--Barbra Streisand.

The 3rd Annual Artivist Film Festival & Awards' mission is to strengthen the voice of international activist artists and raise public awareness of global issues.

This year's festival is November 9-12, 2006 at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, California. I would love to go, but the p.units will be in town visiting me and we'll be going to the Green Festival in San Francisco that weekend.

If I was going, I'd go see:

Freedom Fuels/Sustainable Table on November 11th at 6:15 PM, tix $12.

"FREEDOM FUELS (0:40) Dir - Martin O'Brien
This documentary takes an in-depth look at biofuels from a global perspective and explores how the petroleum industry and alternative fuels have interacted over the last 150 years.

SUSTAINABLE TABLE (0:52) Dir - Mischa Hedges
Sustainable Table is a feature documentary that takes an unadulterated look into the food you eat. What's on your plate? Where does it come from? What effects does it have on the environment and your body?"
And I'd see Shape of Water/Diana's Story/Tibetan Nun's Project on November 12 at 3:45 PM, tix $12.

"DIANA'S STORY (0:06) Dir - Listen Up! Youth Network

My country was at war for 36 years and community structures and resources have been destroyed. While a gang can protect you, it's all too easy to get hurt. I know because I was raped by one of the members of our gang. My healing comes through my involvement with the Iqui Balam Theatre Troupe.

TIBETAN NUN'S PROJECT (0:05) Dir - www.channelg.tv

The Chinese communist takeover of Tibet in 1959 forced more than 100,000 Tibetans to flee into exile. Over 6,000 monasteries were demolished and religious practice was deemed illegal. The Tibetan Nun's Project supports nuns in six different nunneries, two of which we have built from the ground up.

THE SHAPE OF WATER (1:10) Dir - Kum-Kum Bhavnani

The Shape of Water, narrated by Susan Sarandon, interweaves the contradictions and joys of everyday life for Khady, Bilkusben, Oraiza, Dona Antonia, and Gila in Brazil, India, Jerusalem, and Senegal. The women spearhead rainforest preservation (rubber-tappers in Brazilian rainforest): sustain a co-operative of 700,000 rural women (world's largest trades union, India): promote an end to female genital cutting (Senegal): oppose war and the occupation of Palestine (Women In Black, Jerusalem): maintain the Navdanya farm (Himalayan foothills) to further biodiversity and women's role as seed keepers. Fresh insights are offered into the tensions between new traditions and old cultures as it portrays these unsung visionaries creating a more just world.
Send me a review if you go!

Hat tip to Elisa Camahort of Hip and Zen Pen for the story.






2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:08 AM

    I attended the Artivist festival Friday night, Saturday night, and the awards on Sunday night. I was not as impressed with the film "Fast Food Nation" as I was the film "Mad Cowboy". The event was exceptionally cozy and not at all star-struck with paparazzi regardless of the many stars that attended and were honored at the events. I would highly recommend attending next year and getting involved while it is still "cozy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey veganjo,

    Thanks for the reportback from the festival! I'll definitely try to go next year and hopefully Mad Cowboy will make it to a rep. theater near me.

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact