Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Make Cupcakes, Not War

I know yesterday I was bemoaning the amount of sugar Americans eat, but I do LOVE cupcakes, and Marnie Webb sent me the link to this cute blog that I had to share.

5 year old Isabella Lamb is running for the presidential election in 2040. Ok, really, her parents have set up the campaign as a statement for campaign finance reform. As her father, Paul Lamb, says in his August interview on NPR's Marketplace:

"I nearly cried when I heard presidential candidates spent $880 million during the 2004 election. That's about $3 for every man, woman and child in the United States.

Not only is it a ridiculous waste of money, but it means that only the super-rich or super-connected can even begin to contemplate a run for the presidency.

Well, I for one am not waiting around for real campaign finance reform any longer. I have decided to take matters into my own hands and those of my daughter's.

I am taking my $3 and investing it in a presidential campaign to elect my oldest daughter, currently age 5, to the presidency in the year 2040."
Her campaign platform is based on what she learned in kindergarten:
1. Play nice
2. Don't cheat
3. Help out without being asked
4. Raise your hand before you talk
5. Share with everybody
6. Don't lie
7. No yelling
8. No fighting
9. Pick up after yourself
10. Don't take things that aren't yours.
And she has a slogan: "Make Cupcakes Not War."

You can order t-shirts, coffee mugs or bumper stickers here.







2 comments:

  1. Firts of all, are you serious? Because I'm taking it that you are, and if you're not please ignore this.

    But if you really are serious, do you think you should be doing that to your child? She's five years old, she doesn't know what she wants in life. When I was five I wanted to be a teacher but now I relize there's no chance in Hell that I'd want to teach.

    I don't think pressuring her to become president is right on any level.

    Again, I apologize if you weren't really being serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:17 PM

    ARE YOU SERIOUS?
    This is:

    A) Absolutly horrible. You are wasting money.

    B)Already used. Make Cupcakes Not War is a slogan already widely used. And though I LOVE to bake, I would NEVER make a presidential campaign off of that.

    C)Mistreatment of your child. Let her do what she wants. SHE'S FIVE. Its so ridiculous that you want her to become president. For the rest of her life, she will be scared to express her real feelings. She'll never be able to figure out what she wants to do.

    AND LET HER COME UP WITH HER OWN CAMPAIGN IF SHE ACTUALLY DOES WANT TO BE PRESIDENT.

    And just like Sally said, if you aren't actually serious, then please ignore this.

    ReplyDelete

If you are having trouble commenting, please let me know.
http://brittbravo.com/contact